The Most Famous Dirt Tracker

Springfield Mile about 10 years ago. I get this deal to work with Dave Despain and help out with the "Hall-of-Fame Race." I'm talkin' to Carroll Resweber (yes, the one and only) about this motorcycle. He didn't think it was the same bike. Anyway, his buddy painted the duck on the tank. Along comes one of the "Davidsons" from the factory. He told me as long as they were paying me money to race - it had better say Harley-Davidson on the tank. So, we had to change it. Carroll Resweber won the #1 Plate in 1958, 1959, 1960 and 1961 - then he got all busted up.
He autographed my 1961 AMA Motorcyclist Magazine I brought with me - with a huge centerfold of him inside sliding around on this bike (or one like it). I think this is the most famous flat-tracker of them all . . . now up for discussion.

3 comments:

By Hand and By Brain said...

the most!!! thanks for stopping by the blob...
J-

Chris K said...

I believe this is a recreation. I have a book that has what appears to be the unrestored original. I'll go look it up.

As Groucho Marx asked, "Vhy a Duck?"

MattWalksler said...

This bike is a recreation.......nice though.

The real machine is at Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley, NC. Send me an email at mattw@wheelsthroughtime.com, and I'll get some pictures right over.