Beware of Import Clutch Pushrods . . .




I scratched my head so much I had a raw spot and had to keep my hands in my pockets.  I could not figure out why my clutch pushrod was eating up between the adjusting screw and the rod (pressure plate side).  I took it to work and conducted a Rockwell Hardness Test (C-15) too soft.  So, we made a new one to the exact specs of the "import" rod I had - and heat treated the ends (C-50).  It did it again - not as bad since it was harder - but still not right.  Then with a keen eye, my buddy Bake noticed the throw-out bearing end of the rod was a bit too long and it was hitting the stationary (outside) portion on the throw-out bearing . . .(going thru too far) and locking up the rod when it should be spinning.  I didn't have a stock HD rod to compare - hell, I didn't know. 

NOTE: You can see on photos 2 and 3 the shorter rod should only fit into the movable side.  It was touching the stationary(notched) portion of the bearing previously.

1 comment:

Wes said...

Between import junk and unskilled customers who "thought I could fix it myself", it's no wonder I have no hair!!