12 years . . . then 12 more, then 12 more . . .

Working on this 1930 Model DL . . . and finally have the lower end proper to glue it together.  This thing is kinda ugly, but it's growing on me. 
The cylinders are bored and valves & seats ground and fitted.  I set the cylinders on so you can see what it's gonna look like.  It's for my buddy Casey Jones (I call him).  This motor was very rough when it came in . . . and still needs more hours to get it right.
Photo Above:  12 years later . . . we get this 42WLA (army issue).  Still has 4 cams, and it's still a 750cc.  This one is now buttoned up for good too.  I came back Sunday and shimmed the cams, triple checked more stuff . . . and installed the gear cover and oil pump.
This is one of the nicest 45s I've ever seen (next to my 52WLA).  The parts haven't been abused much, no cracks, the cases are sweet . . . the cams are nice.  It's just gonna be a really super nice engine. 
Add another 12 years . . . and you get my '54FL engine.  The thing had been abused and neglected and worked on by a blacksmith with just a 4 lb. hammer and huge drill bits and chisels.  It was so beat up.  I'm still battling this thing.  Hope I got the oil leaks fixed (pan covers) this go around?  The magneto is the best it's ever been.  I know it's gonna be a runner !  Soon !

1 comment:

Chris K said...

Pretty Panhead. Silver barrels and lifter blocks make them look good and right.
Are the pans stainless? If so, what did you do to make them satin, scotch brite?